1791: Fire Department chartered by NC Legislature.
1820: Water works and fire hydrants incorporated by the legislature and installed.
1831: Over 600 stores, residences and other buildings burned, nearly wiping town off the map.
1882: Capt. James D. McNeill elected first Fire Chief.
1883: African-Americans establish and staff two engine companies.
1884: Department reorganized; Silsby Steamer and 1,500 feet of new hose put into service.
1893: New water works system installed.
1900: Fayetteville Fire Company formed.
1903: Chief McNeill retires after 40 years of service, 20 as Chief. McNeill replaced by his son James S. McNeill.
1929: African-American company and Camp Bragg firefighters rescue firefighters and Chief from old downtown Utley Building that burned. They were buried in the rubble of a wall collapse. Luther Horne becomes the first Fayetteville firefighter to perish in the line of duty; passing away from a crushing injury. Second and third line-of-duty deaths were firefighters Williams Capps on July 18, 1956 and David Sharpe on March 17, 2000. Capps was repairing an old box alarm system, Sharpe was driving an aerial truck, respectfully.
1941: Fire station built in Haymount area.
1947: Department begins full-time 24-hour staffing of its two stations. Fate of African-American company after this is unknown, but detailed research is continuing.
1974: Third shift created; department’s personnel grows to 156.
1980s: Department sees increased growth and community development due to laws being changed by the General Assembly. The growth continues to present day – department has a regional and local Hazardous Materials response team.
June 30, 2004: Department adds third battalion of firefighters.
For more information, check out the History Room at the Haymount Fire Station.
|Copyright 2007 - 2013 | ADA Compliance|